Implants are created from pure titanium. They’re quite small and fit into the bone under the gum to act like regular tooth roots. They can be used for every form of tooth loss and can be personalized to fit whatever you need them for. Now that you have a better understanding of what they are, let’s go over the different types you will have to choose from. The dental implants price in Sydney depends on the type of dental implant procedure that suits you.
Types Of Implants
There are two main types of implants:
- Subperiosteal: These dental implants are placed under the gum but on, or above, the jawbone. This type of implant may be used in patients who do not have enough healthy natural jawbones and cannot, or do not want to, undergo a bone augmentation procedure to rebuild it.
- Endosteal: These dental implants are placed in the jawbone. Typically made of titanium and shaped like small screws, they are the most commonly used type of implant.
If your jawbone is not able to support dental implants, several techniques can be used to rebuild bone, restore your natural jawline and provide a sturdy foundation for implant-supported teeth. These include:
- Ridge expansion. If your jaw isn’t wide enough to support dental implants, bone graft material can be added to a small ridge, or space, created along the top of your jaw.
- Sinus lift. Also called sinus augmentation or sinus elevation, this involves adding bone below the sinus in cases where natural bone has deteriorated due to missing upper back teeth.
- Bone augmentation. This involves restoring or regenerating bone in your jaw when it is not able to support implants otherwise. Research shows that using bone additives and growth factors to fortify the bone generally achieves the best results.
Alternative Dental Implant Techniques
Depending on the health of your jawbone and your specific needs, your dental implant dentist may suggest some alternative treatment options in addition to the traditional multi-step dental implant procedure. Options may include:
- All On 4 Dental Implants: All on 4 dental implants Sydney is an alternative to placing a top or bottom set of replacement teeth, called a full arch. Four dental implants are placed in available bone, avoiding the need for bone grafting. During All on 4 dental implants Sydney, special abutments are used so that a temporary set of replacement teeth can be placed on the same day. You follow a modified diet while the gum tissues heal and the implants bond with your natural bone. After about six months, the permanent replacement teeth will be placed and you can resume a regular diet. You can discuss about the all on 4 dental implants cost Sydney with your dentist.
- Mini dental implants: Also called small or narrow diameter implants, these toothpick-sized implants are narrower than most commonly used dental implants. They are placed through less-invasive techniques and are used primarily to stabilize a lower denture.
- Immediate Load Dental Implants: Also called same day implants or Teeth in a Day®, immediate load dental implants allow placement of a temporary tooth during the same appointment as your dental implant placement. This may be a good option if you have enough natural bone and an implant secure enough to support immediate placement and pressure on the new temporary tooth.