Planning to undergo a minor dental surgery? Then get your Dental Implants treatment in Sydney. During the placement of the implants, you won’t feel any discomfort or pain since you will be given a mild anaesthesia. After the procedure is done and once you are out of your dentist’s clinic, you might experience some discomforts and there are some important do’s and don’ts that you have to follow.
Below are some important dental implant post care tips that will help you out
- Avoid spitting, rinsing and brushing your teeth, means don’t disturb or touch the surgical wounds hours after your surgery.
- It is common to experience slight bleeding from the gums, oozing or redness in the saliva, hours and even a few days after the dental implant surgery. If you experience excessive bleeding, you can control this by gently wiping or rinsing the clots in your mouth. Then you can place a gauze pad over the surgery site and bite firmly with constant pressure for every half an hour. You need to consult your dentist if excess bleeding still exists.
- Avoid intake of hot beverages & food for two, three days. Also, avoid intake of hard food. You can eat something soft but be sure not to chew on the side where you have undergone Dental Implants. Avoid doing vigorous physical activities during this period.
- While you feel that the effect of local anaesthesia is wearing off, you can have the prescribed pain killer pills. However, make sure you don’t drive or operate any heavy machines or equipment, if you have taken in strong doses of painkillers since you may feel groggy and this may slow down your reflexes. Generally, any pain or discomfort you feel after the Dental Implants surgery in Sydney will get reduced gradually each day.
- It is normal to witness some swelling around your cheeks, mouth and side of your face, especially 2 to 3 days after your surgery. These are the body’s normal reaction to the dental surgery you have undergone and subsequent healing. You can minimize the swelling in your mouth or cheeks by immediately applying ice packs on the affected area. According to dental experts, ice packs are to be applied continuously for every 20 minutes. You can also apply moist heat on the affected area after 36 hours of surgery to reduce the size of the swelling further.
- Be conscious not to be dehydrated after your surgery. You need to drink at least 5 to 6 glasses of water and other cold fluids every day. Use a glass to drink water and avoid using a straw. The sucking motion can cause more bleeding since it extricates the blood clot.
- Last but not the least; Good oral hygiene is also very essential for good and fast healing. You will be prescribed an antibiotic mouth rinse by the dentist, which you need to use the night after the surgery and the upcoming days. Gargling with lukewarm salt water at least 4 to 5 times a day, especially after meals is a good home remedy. While brushing your teeth, be gentle while brushing on your surgical areas.
By following the above mentioned tips you can take care of your implants and get a faster healing. You can also get some more post-care tips from your dentist, since they may know your health history. Let your smile upsurge the beauty of your face!!